Hints for Self Publishing with Clark & Mackay
When it comes to self publishing the more work you do yourself the cheaper it will be to publish. Clark & Mackay offer a professional book layout & design service and also a cover design service, but if you wish to do-it-yourself we have published here a few tips to help make your job easier and more rewarding.
When producing the artwork for the text of the book, you can use simple word processors such as Microsoft Word or Microsoft Publisher or use professional desktop publishing software such as Adobe Indesign. Which ever way you choose to go, there are a few points you need to consider before starting.
- Choose a page size for your book, the more traditional sizes are
A5 - 148 x 210mm
B5 - 176 x 250mm
A4 - 210 x 297mm
We can produce a book at any size you like, but if you are unsure what size is best, please contact us and we can discuss with you the best options for your book.
- Setup the margins for your book. The margins we recommend for an A5 book are Inside (spine side) 22mm outside 17mm. Top 16mm Bottom 20mm (Text block only, the page number hangs down further.) Remember this is a general figure, the margins are what looks visually correct and balanced for the page size and the font size used. If you are unsure how to use different margins just set the left and right margins the same and we will move the text to allow for the binding at the proofing process.
- Choose a font and a size for the text. We recommend using a type size of 11pt as it is a visually appealing size and easily read.
Use the same font and point size throughout the book as it gives a professional look to your book and makes it easier for the reader's eye.
- When placing pictures or images in your self published book or scanning images for use in your publication, please ensure that they are at least 200 to 300ppi. Unlike the web, the printing process requires high resolution images so that the pictures reproduce clearly without loss of detail.
- When creating your self published book, make the cover file a separate file to the inside pages file. Having the inside pages as a separate file,makes it easier to place a page number on the pages and have it number correctly. Also when it comes to cover artwork, we often have to allow for the spine thickness, so it is easier to work with a file that just contains your self published book cover artwork.
Once you have finished formatting your self published book and your file is ready for print, we ask that you go back through your self published book reading it for spelling and grammatical errors, so that the file you supply Clark & Mackay is the final self published title ready for print.
While we can use word processor and desktop publishing files, the safer option is for you to generate a pdf file and supply us with that pdf file for the self publishing process. Unlike word processors the layout , fonts and images will not change or move in a pdf, so the file you supply us will be what your book will look at the end of the printing process.
We will supply you with a proof of your self published book, unbound, exactly as it will be printed on the same paper stock as you have decided to use. The first proof we supply is free.
If you need help we have some Microsoft Word templates that you can download for free, already formatted in the correct size of the book, with the margins and fonts already setup for you to use. Self publishing templates